Tuesday, July 2, 2013

RevGals and GalShip

I began blogging on March 10, 2007.  I wrote 405 posts on that anonymous blog from 2007 until 2011.   The reason I even started blogging was to join RevGals.  Before I began blogging, Mary Beth at Terrapin Station had mentioned me in a blog post and sent me a link. I had seen a couple of blogs before that, but had never considered that a community could be built around people's blogs.  Once MB introduced me to the ring, I got seriously hooked on keeping up with what was going on in my friend's lives - people I had never met but felt like I knew.  I witnessed a horrible murder, a heart-wrenching divorce, incredible joys and exquisite experiences through my new ring of friends.

During that time period, my blog was one of the very few places I could check in with others from the church outside of my own region. I was in a BAD place - geographically and professionally as I went through seminary.  The women of RGBP became my window of sanity and hope for what could be that I dreamed of, as I lived the craziness of what was.

My first in the flesh meet up (besides Mary Beth who I knew in real life) was at the Festival of Homiletics in Nashville, 2007.  It was a like a Spy meet-up - back then most of us were anonymous bloggers, so we each had an alias.  I got to meet Inner Dorothy, St Casserole, 1-4 Grace, Rev Kim, Moose Poop on the Lawn, and Cheesehead.  It was weird and fun and fabulous all at the same time.

By the time the first BE was planned, I was in a really bad place mentally.  I was at the end of seminary with no hope of being ordained in my part of the world.  I almost didn't go - even right up until the morning of the cruise.  I felt like a trespasser and an impostor for even wanting to join in.  That BE gave me hope - gave me a sense of a bigger calling, gave me friends I knew I could confide in and cry
with.  Kate and Kathryn were angels in human skin.  Walking away with hope is an immeasurable gift.  Dancing with Nell and Amy, laughing so hard tears ran down my cheeks, pranks on S-L, chia tattoos, priceless memories.  I won't say it saved my life, but it very well may have saved my calling.

On a later BE, within the first hour, Liz told my whole story back to me.  I had never ever met her before - and I still get goosebumps thinking about what a Holy Moment that was for me.

Now I am lucky enough to have RGBP meet-ups quite often.  There are several of us in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and there are many who come here.  Julie even has stayed with me.  I love my RevGal moments.  Galship is a priority in my life - even with the four busy teens in the house and my two busy jobs.  I don't blog as much as I once did - I don't need it in the same way.  FB meets most of those needs to check in on friends now.  I visit the Tuesday Lectionary Leanings and the Preaching Party just about every week though.  I post the Wednesday Festival the first of each month.  I value the time I put into RGBP and look for more ways to be involved.  I am a proud RevGal.

20 comments:

  1. Serving Communion with you on the first BE is one of my favorite Galship memories. Good thing you came!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That you even let me DO that was amazing - then Drew and I had to finish it all!! I giggle a bit about that now but would probably still do the same thing :-)

      Delete
  2. We need each other... that's fo sho! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should come to Dallas- we could have LOTS of meet-ups!!

      Delete
  3. That moment is one of those moments that haunts me too - in a very good way! Thanks for sharing your story and nurturing that safe space, sister. xxx looking forward to BE 7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot wait to see you again! I loved reading your definition of Galship - you inspired my post.

      Delete
  4. oh amy, this made me cry. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, speaking of meet-ups and Galship - I will be in your neck of the woods in a couple of weeks - wanna get together?

      Delete
  5. I followed your journey on your blog and rejoiced when it all worked out...but honestly I trusted the Holy Spirit, who is one determined being, would get exactly where she knew you needed to be....she always does. That said, the time in between is so very difficult. Yay for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still blows my mind that we got to sit and chat at General Convention - you as a presenter, me as a participant - crazy! If I had been ordained in my original space, I would have NEVER been there. The HS definitely had it the whole time - she's amazing that way.

      Delete
  6. Great reflection, thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for your inner 12 yr old -
      Did you hear about the Native American who died after drinking too much Sweet Tea? He drowned in his Tea Pee.
      As shared by the 55 year old in my house last night...

      Delete
  7. This is a wonderful story! And such a relief, even now, to read that someone else found seminary geographically and professionally not "the best years of your life." Such an amazing group of women where we can always find someone else who has experienced something similar to what we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - It was such an odd juxtaposition - my seminary was extremely supportive and a wonderful place to be, but the diocese there was just not. I have very fond memories of seminary and great professors which made the other tolerable, thanks be to God.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing your story! I'm so glad to know you, both on the ship and on the webz. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still get tears when I remember that last night on the ship BE 1...and the joy we were finally all able to share when that promise was kept. So, so glad to know you and be part of your amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still get etars when I think of you traveling for my ordination and being here. WOW!! Love you!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing. I hope to one day be able to meet yall and expand my understanding of galship.

    ReplyDelete

Please be graceful with me and others!